Sunday 14 December 2014

Patti Smith: O Holy Night (2013)

Patti Smith is probably - no, definitely - my favourite artist of all time. So when I heard that she was going to be performing at this year's Vatican Christmas Concert (which, truthfully, I know nothing about) I was pretty excited, anticipating some new Christmas songs from Ms. Smith to add to the collection. (If you haven't heard her covers of 'White Christmas' and 'We Three Kings', you should track those down.)

Well, the concert was yesterday, and I can find zero news about it or videos from it. However, I did come across the following video of Patti performing 'O Holy Night' at last year's concert. I don't know what on earth was with all the press freaking out about Patti Smith performing at this year's concert ("Didn't she sing "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine" all those decades ago? What's she doing singing for the pope?!") if she did the exact same thing last year, but there you go. The press is weird.

Anyway, Patti's version of 'O Holy Night' is absolutely beautiful. So…does the Vatican sell recordings of their concerts or whatever? Is that a thing? Because this is going straight onto next year's mix if I can get my hands on a copy!



1 comment:

  1. Hello Nog City Records,

    Did you ever find out if her live recording was released on an album?By the Vatican, or whomever? Probably a pipe dream, but if I could find it on vinyl, it would make a hell of a Christmas gift for someone I know... ��

    Given the date of this post, it would basically be a miracle just to hear back from you, though! Lol

    -Corrina

    ReplyDelete